Explore How We Live, Learn & Work
Reducing Water Usage
Reduced-flow showerheads are installed in all facilities, and “waterless urinals” are installed in some public restrooms - saving 270,000 gallons of water annually. Retrofitted walk-in freezers and coolers save 9,000 gallons a week.
ENERGY STAR Appliances
Housing units and kitchens are equipped with ENERGY STAR certified appliances. ENERGY STAR appliances reduce water waste and are energy efficient, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants.
Trayless Dining & Proper Meal Portions
UCR’s Residential Restaurants serve properly-portioned meals and do not use trays. This enables the restaurants to save water, save energy, reduce food waste, and lower dependency on cleansers.
Saving Hundreds of Thousands of Plastic Bottles
“Hydration Stations” found in Residence Halls allow residents to refill reusable water bottles, cutting out the need for single-use plastics.
For getting around the city, students can ride Riverside Transit Agency buses for free by presenting their UCR student ID.
Cans, Glass, Paper
Recycling is available in common areas of Residence Halls and UCR Campus Apartments.
All housing facilities have compact fluorescent light bulbs and energy-saving fluorescent light fixtures.
"Green," Green Landscapes
We use climate-appropriate plants and a wireless irrigation system to maximize the efficiency of the landscape-watering program.
Meet Us Halfway
Small changes make a big difference. Choose a few of these alternatives and reduce your carbon footprint.
Paper & Wood Waste Could Light 50 Million Homes for 20 Years
- Edit on the computer before printing
- Store files on portable drives
- Use reusable lunch bags and coffee cups
- Write short memos on small pieces of paper
- Use undated, erasable wall calendars
- Use refillable tape dispensers
Plastic Bottles Have a 1,000-Year Lifespan!
- Use reusable water bottles
- Hydration Stations provide free, filtered water and are found outside of the Residential Restaurants
Electronics Still Consume Energy When "Off"
- Unplug laptops and other electronics when not in use
- Use a power strip
- Turn off lights when leaving a room
Save Up to 1,000 Gallons of Water a Year
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth
- Don’t keep the water running when doing dishes
- Keep the time-length of your showers to a minimum
A Four-Passenger Car = 2,353 Gallons of Gas per Year
- Determine if you really need a car on campus
- Ride your bike – secure bike areas are located throughout our communities
- Carpool when traveling long distances
- Take advantage of the Zipcar program on campus
Make Eight Smart, Back-to-School Buys
Saving energy reduces pollution. A simple way to save is by investing in energy-efficient products. Look for the ENERGY STAR when purchasing these and other products for a Residence Hall room or UCR Campus Apartment:
- Computers, laptops and monitors
- External power adapters
- Battery chargers
- Compact fluorescent lights
- Residential light fixtures
- Room air conditioners and air cleaners