Directions and Steps for Moving
Orient yourself amidst the hustle and bustle of moving. See what you have to do, step-by-step, for a successful move.
Residence Halls Move-Out
- Attend your end-of-the-year hall/floor meeting to get your check-out envelope and to discuss any questions you might have regarding closing with your Resident Advisor (RA).
- Pick up your Check-Out Envelope. If you didn’t get one at your floor/hall meeting, you can get one at your RSO. You will need to turn in your keys to the RSO inside this envelope.
Note: You must check out no later than 24 hours after your last final.
- Pack (or properly dispose) of all your belongings. Please do not check out if any items are left in your room, except university furniture and the Ethernet cable that came with the room. Make sure you take any items you might have in common areas.
- Submit a change of address with the US Postal Service and update your address on R'Web account. Mail cannot be forwarded by the Resident Services Office (RSO). All mail received after you check out will be returned to sender.
- Drop off your keys at the RSO in your Check-Out Envelope. Your RA will inspect your room after you move out, and compare your room inventory to what was reported at the beginning of the year. If damages are observed, charges will be assessed at that time, and a listing of charges will be emailed to you.
Click For Details
Campus Apartment Check-Out
- Pre-Inspection. The Pre-Inspection is completed by Housing Staff during a pre-announced time period approximately 45 days prior to the Expiration Date of your Contract. This is an early warning (no charges will be assessed) to alert you of any concerns we have about the condition of your apartment. You do not need to be present.
- Pick up your Check-Out Envelope at your RSO.
- Start thinking about what to do with your belongings. All of your belongings must be removed from your apartment before the Final Inspection.
- Submit a change of address with the US Postal Service and update your address on R'Web account. Mail cannot be forwarded by the Resident Services Office (RSO).
- Move out by 5pm on your Contract Expiration Date. You can leave anytime prior to your Contract Expiration Date, but we will not pro-rate your rent. Make sure you leave your keys at your RSO in the official Key Return Envelope available at the RSO. Find your move-out date here.
- Final Inspection. The Final Inspection will be conducted by Housing Staff when residents have departed. Inspection results will be emailed to residents and any charges or credits will be reflected on the resident's R'Web account.