Bikes, Parking & Transportation
Get a Housing Parking Permit
Residence Halls & Glen Mor
Please see the Transportation Services website regarding housing permits for Residence Hall and Glen Mor residents.
*Due to limited parking availability on campus, first-year residents should plan on NOT bringing a vehicle to campus with them. Campus parking permits will only be issued to students who seek an exemption from Transportation Services based on a documented, compelling need for campus parking. Residents will be sent information regarding the exemption process when they are notified of their housing assignment.
- Campus Apartments
Permits can be purchased online through the Transportation Services website. Each individual unit is eligible to receive two permits. Oban Family Housing Parking Permits are only valid in the Oban Family Housing community.
Motorcycles, Mopeds & Scooters
If you’re using a motorcycle, moped or scooter (motorized bikes) on campus, you must purchase a Motorcycle Permit. Motorcycle permits are available online. Motorized bikes may not be parked or stored on sidewalks, patios, decks or in any building.
Bike on Campus
Every community offers bike racks and/or bike storage. Check with your RSO for specific locations.
Keep Your Bike Safe
Follow these tips to prevent bicycle theft and to increase your chances of getting it back if stolen:
- Keep a record of the make, model, serial number and value of your bicycle.
- Register your bike and its identifiers with Transporation Services so it's easier to find if stolen.
- Use a basic bicycle on campus. Expensive, attractive bikes are targets for theft.
- Park your bicycle at bike pods or racks located in well-lit areas.
- Lock your bike using a steel “U”-shaped lock.
- Place the lock through the bicycle frame, through a wheel, and through the bike rack (99% effective when used properly).
- If you have quick-release wheels, remove the front wheel and place it next to the rear wheel, then secure. Place the key mechanism for the lock facing the ground.
- Every community offers bike racks and/or bike storage. Check with your RSO for specific locations.
- Learn more about bicycling at UCR.
Use Alternative Transportation
Ride RTA Buses for Free
Get around town without badgering your roommate for a ride. Several bus stops are located on or near campus. Learn more about taking the bus and how to ride for free on the Transportation Services website.
Sign up for Zipcar and get access to four fuel-efficient, car-sharing vehicles. Zipcars are available 24/7 and are located in reserved spaces on campus. As a UCR student, receive a discounted membership. Learn more about car sharing and how to sign up on the Transportation Services website.